Saturday 6 July 2019

Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Summer Sampler and Clam up

My scrappy theme this year is bow tie blocks. I didn't get much sewing done at all in June as I was away for most of the month touring Eastern Europe, visiting cities that for most of my life were not accessible. I had some knitting with me as I've found knitting is very good at distracting the back-seat driver in me!

The last two weeks I caught up on my Rainbow Challenge blocks for June  (dark blue):


Even though I've never been to the United States some 4th July fabric has crept in there! I received it several years ago in a giveaway, and am gradually using it. I think that's it for blue this year, and I'll move on to pink this weekend.

I've also joined the Summer Sampler QAL  hosted by Lee Heinrich but couldn't start until I returned from my travels. Over the last two weeks I made four blocks

1. Spring Fever: Lynn Carson-Harris


2. Pixelations: Lee Heinrich

3. Curious Crossing: Krista Hennebury
5. Rope Twist: Amy Friend
but am still four blocks behind schedule.

Thursday I attended a workshop at QuiltersPalet quilt shop in The Hague to make a Clam-up pouch.
I didn't finish because my 35 year-old Bernina Nova refused to sew through two layers of foam plus the zip and four layers of quilting cotton! Not surprising really. My Bernina 404 managed with some difficulty, even when using the walking foot. Now I just have to finish some hand sewing on the inside.



Looks finished, but there's still a binding to sew down!

This was my first time putting in a rounded zip. Although I've made lots of pairs of trousers in the past, they have a much more gentle curve. This I found tricky, maybe due to the machine's difficulty in getting through so many layers of fabric, but I think to my inexperience.

I'm linking to 

 SoScrappy

 Click on the button to see more rainbow projects.


Happy sewing

Marly.

11 comments:

Vireya said...

Touring Eastern Europe must have been interesting!

Your clam pouch looks terrific.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your June trip sounds fascinating! I love all the blocks you've made since returning home - those Summer Sampler blocks are lovely!

Chantal said...

Your Summer Sampler blocks are gorgeous. Love Curious Crossing. I think you did an excellent job with the clam pouch. It is so pretty but sewing through so many layers isn't my cup of tea either. Enjoy the pink! ;^)

PaintedThread said...

I like Curious Crossing best (they all look great). What fun. The pouch is really pretty!

The Joyful Quilter said...

RSC blocks, Summer Samplers blocks, AND that adorable zip pouch, too?! Goodness, you've been busy!! I'm intrigued by the double zipper on that pouch. I've never tried anything made like that. How was it (machine problems not withstanding)?

Katie Z. said...

Lovely blocks!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What lovely blocks! Your solid colors are very striking.

Deb A said...

So fun that you got to travel this summer! Your bow ties are lovely and what a cute pouch!

Mystic Quilter said...

Like the blocks Marly!! Lovely solid colours you're working with.

Sue SA said...

I find sewing on my Bernina 404 all those layers tricky and I have made a few bags in my time. I blame the foam last time I made one of these wonderful bag patterns. So promised myself an attempt with just normal wadding to see how it compares.

Mary Marcotte said...

What a darling little bag. You've given me an idea for some fabric I picked up recently. It would be so cute made into a little bag.
Good work on the blocks. You must be about caught up with all anything that got left behind for your traveling. Which, btw, I'm jealous of! Oh, to get to travel anywhere in Europe. What fun!