So what did I do? I found some 2½" batik strips, from a roll of pre-cut 2½" batik strips (a jelly roll in all but name!), stacked them, cut through the stack at 17" and sewed them together along the long sides with the darkest at the bottom and the lightest at the top. How boring!
I didn't choose the brightest of colours but stuck with earth tones. I'm thinking the Earth and Mother Nature, sedimentary rocks, peat cuttings. Colour-wise rather like an early Van Gogh, before he went off to the South of France and discovered irises and sunflowers!
If I read the challenge instructions properly I've got one more month to make this into something. Something, that is, other than the resemblance of a stack of peat propped up to dry!
I'm linking to
Click on the button to see more improvised Chinese Coins. I am sure there will some amazing variations on the theme.