Sunday 20 October 2019

RSC 2019 Bow-ties is a finished top!


For the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Angela gives a colour and participants all over the world make blocks in that colour from their scraps. This year there is also a sampler; some of the block instructions being given by Angela, and some by participants themselves, resulting in a different tiny block each week.

This year I decided not to make the sampler, but to make bow-tie blocks inspired by a quilt published last year in "Make Modern" issue 22. I was particularly struck by the effect achieved by this layout.


This will be a lap quilt or possibly a baby quilt as it measures 48" by 54".

Here are some detailed photos.


Each coloured fabric occurs only once, but I had to repeat some of the neutrals.



Double Dutch Bee mates: can you spot some of the fabric from the uglies table in here? There are at least two!



I'm linking to

SoScrappy and  Quilting is more fun than Housework

Click on the buttons to see more rainbow scraps. 

Happy sewing

Marly

18 comments:

Linda said...

Your Bow Ties quilt is lovely. Such a clever way to arrange the blocks and the different Rainbow colours. So effective. It would make a great baby quilt, so much for the baby to look at and later could be used as an I Spy quilt.

Chantal said...

Beautifully done! It is so lovely to look at that, with all its cheerful colors that it makes me happy. Great job! ;^)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love it and you have it all sewed together already - I need to pick out two more colors for mine and finished it up

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful quilt! I love the bright fabrics, and the layout is perfect. Nice work!

BarefootThunder said...

a very lovely little bows quilt.

Julierose said...

this is so pretty and cheery--perfect for these gray days...nice work hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Marly, that's so pretty - I love the layout you chose! When I made a bowtie quilt last year, deciding on the layout was the hardest part!

Jenny said...

Very pretty! I'm doing Bow Ties as well, mine as not put together yet.

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's SEW rainbow-licious, Marly!! Nicely done.

PaintedThread said...

What fun. So cute!

Susie H said...

Oh how funny you used "ugly fabric". I hope some of those mentioned do recognize the fabrics. Love your bow tie blocks. This is a beautiful quilt!

Julie said...

That's a very petty quilt - sewing all the rainbow colours is always so eyecatching

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love how this turned out. Congratulations on getting your RSC blocks into a quilt top so quickly. And thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Alison V. said...

This is so gorgeous! You got a really lovely "blend" from your blocks!

Cathy said...

A very striking Bow tie quilt - I looove it!!

Christine B said...

I love how this has turned out. The secondary pattern is so clever and you can hardly recognise the bow ties! The colours are beautiful too! Great quilt! Christine xx

Vireya said...

That looks terrific!

Sandy Panagos said...

It looks great. Love that you made it scrappy.