Thursday 3 October 2019

"Circles" is finished!

Circles is finished?

Well, it's labelled, quilted and bound, which usually means finished, right?


I made these blocks several years ago in the Quilty 365 project, hosted by Audrey at Quilty Folk: one circle each day,  appliquéd onto one square. I chose to do needle turn appliqué, which I'd never done before. Finally I've got 180 circles together in a quilt. I stopped making the blocks in the middle of August that year, and have got a box full of appliquéd circles waiting for another project.





But now, every time I look at this quilt I think it needs quilting inside the circles. I started quilting it that way last year, but it was impossible to get through the "made fabric" with all it's seams.

This circle, for instance, has twenty one different pieces of fabric in it. Twenty one in a 3" circle! What was I thinking?!



I've thought that tying those circles that are too thick to quilt might be a solution. I'll give it a try. If that works I'll quilt the flatter circles by hand.


The blocks might look rather strange: some tied, some quilted. Too bad!
Not just yet, however, I have to wait for the inflammation in my right shoulder to subside.

Meanwhile, it's a finish!

At the end of the week I'll be linking to

https://anjaquilts.blogspot.com/2019/10/tgiff-canadian-modern-quilt-guilds-swap.html
 Click on the button to see more finishes.

 Happy Sewing 

Marly

11 comments:

Vireya said...

It looks wonderful! I love the way the colours work across it.

Julierose said...

This is so lovely--I like how you used the solid colors to surround the circles
nice work hugs, Julierose

Quilting Babcia said...

I love how this quilt just glows! Congrats on getting it this far. I don't think I'll attempt to quilt inside my circles, especially since I didn't cut out the background behind them. Whatever you decide will be perfect.

PaintedThread said...

LOVE how this quilt looks. Beautiful work.

Lisa J. said...

It's an awesome finish at that. It must feel so good looking at it after all that work.

Chantal said...

Congratulations on finishing this little beauty, with a sore shoulder on top of that! So determined. Bravo! ;^)

Christine B said...

I think it is gorgeous! I remember you making these circles and it is nice to see them put together into a finished quilt.... very pretty. Christine xx

Sandy Panagos said...

I think it looks good the way it is. When its washed the circles will really stand out!

chrisknits said...

What a wonderful quilt!! I can't imagine doing the same thing every day, I'd probably have to do 7 in a day just to stay current.

Rebecca Grace said...

This quilt is fabulous just the way it is, you know. As for adding quilting to the circles, I think it might be even harder to get a thick hand needle through all the seams than it would be to get a machine quilting needle through them. Maybe you could quilt only the single fabric circles? But honestly, I really do love the quilt exactly as it is right now. I think you should move onto something else and only add more quilting to this one if it still bothers you after you've taken some time away from it. Great job!

Lisa in Port Hope said...

I think it will be fine for gentle use and washing. I like how the background gradients but the circles are more scrappy. Have a great day!