Saturday 1 December 2018

One Monthly Goal in December: to move my 2018 RSC quilt forward.



https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2018/12/one-monthly-goal-december-goal-link-up.html











Patty at Elm Street Quilts invites us all to link up our goal for each month. Just one project to work on and reach a point in the process, or a finish.

Before I go any further I'd just like to return to my November goal which was a play mat for my twin grandchildren, expected in December.
 
They didn't wait for December but were born on 29 November: Roos and Kick - both old Dutch names. It will be some time before they will be playing in their play pen; for the moment they are staying in hospital; they are so tiny!

This month my goal is not to finish anything, although that would be very satisfying. My goal is to prepare my 2018 Rainbow Scrap Challenge top for quilting and maybe even start quilting.


This year I made the blocks for the "Squared Away" sampler devised by Mari (the patterns) and Angela (the colours). It's a long time since I made a quilt with sashing and cornerstones and didn't intend to include them here. The first two blocks I sewed together just didn't want to play nicely and the points certainly didn't match. Those bulky seams had to be separated! Hence the sashing.

And now ... to border or not to border? What do you think? I'm not a great fan of borders unless for expediency - creating extra width. But somehow the sashing seems to need to be balanced by a border. I find it hard to decide because I don't need the extra width.

Top statistics:
  • 10" squares: fabric from stash
  • sashing 1" wide.
  • backing within the blocks and the sashing fabric: Contempo's "Color Weave" in light grey for Benartex 

I'm linking up to:

https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2018/12/one-monthly-goal-december-goal-link-up.html
SoScrappy  




Click on the buttons to see other quilting progress.

Happy sewing

Marly.

13 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm not a big fan of borders anymore either, unless you need the extra inches for the size. So my Squared Away quilt needed borders! :) But if yours doesn't need them, I say proceed without! Your quilt top is beautiful - I do love the sashing and cornerstones you added. Congratulations on the new grandbabies - hope they are doing well!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Love your RSC quilt, the sashings look great! Good luck for choosing (or not) a border ;)

Quilter Kathy said...

If you don't need the quilt to be larger, why not just quilt it and bind in white?!?
Great job on getting the blocks together!

Sharon - IN said...

Congrats on the new arrivals! Hope the twins & Mom are doing well. I don't always do borders, but with your thin sashing, I think doing a thin white border or one with the corner stones too, would look nice before adding a colorful binding. Just my two cents. Enjoy the process!

Laura said...

Congratulations on the new grandbabies...how wonderful!

I am no help deciding about borders...I am still trying to make up my mind about my own Squared Away version! I do think I would add white sashing around the outside...just to complete the sashing that you have already done. But that's just me.

PaintedThread said...

I'd go straight as is - no border. It looks great!

gayle said...

I'm the opposite - I'm a big fan of borders and have to restrain myself to NOT add them to every top! 8)
Good luck - go with your heart!

Mari said...

Congratulations on your new grandbabies! The 29th must be a day for twins because my twin grandbabies were also born on the 29th. Hope Roos and Kick are doing well. Your quilt top looks great. I might add a 2-1/2 or 3 inch white border just to finish it off. Not much extra width, but it looks more finished.

scraphappy said...

think that just finishing the sashing along the outside edge would be border enough. Great looking quilt!

Patty said...

Congrats on the grandchildren! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilt One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

Linda said...

Twins - how exciting! Love their names, and that play mat is really pretty.
Your RSC top is lovely. If you decide to, I think a continuation of the white with cornerstones would make a nice border. But it's pretty as is!

Lisa J. said...

Congratulations on the birth of the twins. How exciting. I hope they come home soon. I'm with Kathy on the white binding idea. It is a really pretty quilt.

Vireya said...

Congratulations on the new arrivals! I hope they will be home from hospital soon, so you can have lots of cuddles and enjoy being a grandmother.