Saturday 15 November 2014

RSC 14: Week 46 Beginning to come together

Each week for the last eleven and a half months Angela at Soscrappy has posted instructions for making quilt blocks and each month the focus has been on another colour. This month's colour is pale blue, and we have been given four blocks.

For my layout I chose to move diagonally through the rainbow from pink through violet to red, and then repeat the sequence, and have tried, with limited success, to have the lighter blocks at the top.

Wednesday's provisional layout: before sorting on colour value

When I laid my blocks out  I decided I didn't need more than four pale blue blocks, so this week I have concentrated on filling the gaps in the pattern. With just three more blocks to make I've started adding I½" sashing strips to the right hand side of the blocks; I need to get them off the floor!

First the remaining two pale blue blocks, made last weekend

Zig-zag &  Road to Oklahoma (with sashing on the right)
Both in photo above.


then two more purple

Antique tile & Ceiling fan
Both in photo above

two black

Churn Dash & Contrary Wife
Now added bottom right

Detail from Churn Dash.
Don't you love the King of the Rosehips?

and one orange

Small bow ties;
already made in green but with a different layout


with just one more orange and two pink blocks to make.


I have cheated a bit because I included the tan/whisky coloured browns with the orange, as they can indeed be construed as being dark orange. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

The layout is an unusual one I think: ten blocks wide by nine blocks long with 1" sashing. But that feels right to me for a lap quilt/ throw. I think I will make a single fairly narrow border.

Linking up to 

Soscrppy

so head over there to see more rainbow blocks.

Happy sewing

Marly.


15 comments:

Ruth said...

Looks brilliant laid out like that - I'm really liking those black ones!

Dasha said...

Love your layout Marly. And that little bird in the purple block is just so cute!! Your Road to Oklahoma block is so very different to mine. So very different when it is scrappy. I am about to post the ones I made today - they'll be up later.

scraphappy said...

What a great quilt this is going to be. I love your layout and the extra blocks you are filling in. Best of luck getting it finished up and off the floor. That can be the hardest part as you come to the end of a quilt -- getting it up off the floor before someone walks over it!

Nell's Quilts said...

Lovely with the repeating pattern. Getting it off the floor will be great - that much closer to being done.

Deb A said...

Great layout! Love how you did your colors and great blocks you added this week. I've done sashing that way before - makes things much more manageable.

Quilter Kathy said...

A wonderful scrappy rainbow quilt.. love it!

Angie said...

Great layout and lovely new blocks! I'm jealous - I still have not laid out my blocks to see what colors need a bit of help. I look forward to seeing yours stitched with sashing.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I love your layout! The blocks turned out great!

Katie Z. said...

Your blocks are great!

Kate said...

Beautiful layout! It's going to be fun to see how everyone puts their blocks together.

Karen said...

Great rainbow blocks. You have done an excellent job of keeping up each month.

Bonnie said...

Wow! Your RSC blocks look great. I fell apart on the RSC about 3 months ago. And, I was only doing 1 block each month. You've done a great job.

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Marly, it is looking absolutely fabulous! Congrats on hanging in this one to the very end - you are almost there! Can't wait to see your final layout with your new blocks :)

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Love love your purples!!!!!!!!!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Love love your purples!!