Friday 7 November 2014

Finished: Tulpen op Tafel - Tulips on the table

This is my second finish for the 2014 Q4 Finish Along. My projected finishes are listed here.


Pattern: Merel van Looi, Birdblocks, Amsterdam.
size: 16" x 17¼"

The background is stack and slash using 4 different prints, the tulips and leaves are appliqué and are set off  by a single row of hand quilting around the pieces. The background is machine quilted in straight lines using the walking foot.

detail
(Sorry about the strange colour; this was this evening in artificial light;
the other photo is more the true colour)

Randomly cutting the pile of fabric and then mixing the pieces was a new technique for me, at least one I'd only read about. I also used "Wash-Away Appliqué Sheets" for the first time. I dislike cutting the fabric to remove freezer paper, so this was the lazy girl's handy solution. Moreover, the tulip stems are so thin that there's more fabric turned under than there is on top so this was definitely the best medium for strengthening the appliqué fabric. I can see myself using this more often! (Especially as I still have 24½ sheets of the stuff!)


I'm linking up to 


so nip over there to see what else has been finished this week.

Happy sewing

Marly.


4 comments:

Lisa J. said...

This is really pretty Marly. I loved your comment about using your 24 1/2 sheet of the stuff. I'm still laughing.

Unknown said...

Wat een lief mini quiltje. Ik vind die tulpen op die ondergrond zo mooi! Ik kan me een grote quilt voorstellen met dit patroon. Moet dat vlies ook eens proberen.

Laura said...

the tulips are so pretty. I love the combination of piecing and applique but i haven't tried stack n slash yet. great work. thanks for linking up :)

Marly said...

Dankjewel Maartje, De vlies was een suggestie van Merel (ik ben zeker dat jij Birdblocks kent) juist omdat de stelen zo dun zijn en het een hele priegel zou worden om de papieren eruit te halen. De bedoeling ervan is dat het oplost in de was!
Heb jij door dat jij een "no-reply blogger" bent? Vandaar mijn antwoord hier.