Sunday 15 December 2013

Workshop week

There are some skills I wish I had, and which however much I try to master I just don't seem to get (like speaking Portuguese). Free motion quilting was also a case in point. I could bear the free motion frustration no longer and decided it was time to get expert advice.

Er zijn vaardigheden die ik zou willen hebben, maar wat ik ook doe, het lukt me niet om ze eigen te maken (zoals Portugees spreken). Zo ook machine quilten uit de vrije hand. De frustratie werd me te veel; het werd tijd om een expert te raadplegen.
De expert machine quilting trainer in dit deel van Nederland is Karen Lipton, dus heb ik van de week een workshop bij haar gevolgd bij QuiltersPalet in Den Haag. Wij hebben zo ontzettend veel in 5,5 uur geleerd: cirkels, blaadjes, bloemen, harten en sterren. Het gekke is dat het zo ontspannend was, terwijl in het verleden ik altijd zo gespannen van werd. Waarschijnlijk daarom bakte ik er niets van!



2 van mijn proeflapjes 



Around here the free motion expert is Karen Lipton, so I attended her workshop  "Free Motion Fun" at QuiltersPalet in The Hague this week. Wow, did we cover a lot of ground in five and a half hours! Karen took the group from simple straight lines, up and down and left to right, while she checked the machine adjustments, to garlands with flowers, leaves, hearts and stars. 
The strangest thing: it was all so relaxed and relaxing, while in the past free motion quilting left me tense, both mentally and physically, which is probably why I never got anywhere with it.

I was so busy I only took one photo during the workshop, and that isn't really accurate, because shortly afterwards I changed the stitch length to 2.5mm.

Mijn enige foto van tijdens de workshop; ik had het te druk!


So I don't forget the settings.

As if one workshop wasn't enough, the following day I took a second, also at QuiltersPalet :"My own Quilt File" with Hilde. Now, I can't honestly say that I'd been desperately frustrated while making boxes or files in the past. I don't remember ever trying my hand at this particular craft. I did, however, need a neat and portable cutting mat, and a mini ironing board would come in handy (if I had a mini iron - Santa!). While such files are commercially available, an entirely personalized one is preferable, don't you think?

I'm pleased with the result.


outside - de buitenkant

inside - de binnenkant
Alsof een workshop niet genoeg was, ging ik de volgende dag nog een volgen bij QuiltersPalet, en deze keer bij Hilde, om kartonnage te leren door dit handig map te maken. Je kunt soortgelijke mappen kopen, maar zelf gemaakt is toch leuker? Ik vond dat ik er een nodig had; nu nog de mini strijkijzer voor bij de mini strijkplank (Kerstman)! Met het resultaat ben ik best tevreden.





No comments: