Sunday 8 December 2013

Welcome; Celtic Solstice Part 2

Welcome to my blog, where I'm going to write about my quilting challenges. I'm fairly new to patchwork and quilting, but am already addicted. 
I have just spent most of today cutting pieces for step 2 of my version of Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt ( http://quiltville.blogspot.nl/p/celtic-solstice-mystery.html ).

Welkom op mijn blog, waar ik over mijn quilting uitdagingen ga schrijven. Ik ben er niet zo lang mee bezig, alles is uitdaging, maar ik ben eraan verslaafd. Vandaag heb ik vierkantjes en rechthoeken geknipt voor Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt part 2. 
( http://quiltville.blogspot.nl/p/celtic-solstice-mystery.html )


drawing diagonal lines on the squares
The squares have to be cut in half diagonally once they have been attached to the rectangles, so I've also drawn the stitching lines on all 200 squares. (the other 200 will come later)

I find it's easier to draw straight lines on fabric if there is a piece of sandpaper underneath. To give the paper more stability it's mounted on a piece of cardboard box:



Omdat als de vierkantjes op de rechthoeken vastzitten ze diagonaal doorgeknipt moeten worden heb ik alvast de naadlijn erop getekend.
Ik vind het tekenen van rechte lijnen op stof makkelijker als er een stukje schuurpapier eronder ligt (tip van Jobina de Boer). Het papier ligt steviger als het op een stuk kartonendoos gemonteerd is.

Here's my production for today.
I stopped cutting green because I've used something of everything I've got and hope to pick up some more bright green this week.
200 neutral squares, 178 green rectangles - all in bundles of 10

Productie van vandaag. Ik hield op met groene stof knippen om dat ik van alles een beetje had gebruikt, maar hoop van de week meer te kopen.
Nu komt de uitdaging: gebruik ik geel voor de andere vierkantjes ( als Bonnie gedaan heeft), of ga ik voor paars/ fel roos? Mijn eerste insteek was paars /roos - de hei, distels, wilde rhododendrons - want voor mijn is "Celtic" niet zo zeer Iers als Scots. Deze beslissing stel ik uit tot ik weet wat er verder komt. Ik probeer in ieder geval voor vrijdag 200 neutrale vierkantjes op 200 groene rechthoeken te naaien.

My challenge now is which colour am I going to use for the other squares, the ones Bonnie has made yellow? My original plan was to make them purple /mauve/ bright pink - heather, thistles, wild rhododendrons - as for me, "Celtic" is not Irish but Scottish. I'm postponing that decision until I see what comes next. I'll try to get 200 neutral squares sewn and flipped onto 200 rectangles before Friday.

 I was too late for last week's linky party, although I had a look round, but I hope I can link up today.

Mijn dank aan Ingrid en Annemieke (kippetje) die mij vorige week hielpen; de tri-recs zouden morgen bezorgd moeten worden.

Now be sure to go to http://quiltville.blogspot.nl/2013/12/celtic-solstice-mystery-monday-link-up.html to view the other participants.

Marly.


5 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I like the colors you are working on. I too had to draw all the lines, it is time consuming making all those little chevrons but I know so worth it in the end.

Andee said...

Your fabrics look gorgeous!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Love learning WHY you started to blog. So glad we have met.:)

Janet said...

You are a baby quilt blogger still, but look at you go with the quilting! I didn't make Celtic Solstice but I did make Easy Street and it was a real challenge. I'm off now to check up on how your Celtic Solstice is coming along.

Anita in Florida said...

I always forget that sandpaper trick!!! Got here thru Val.