Tuesday 22 March 2022

Kawandi Finish

 

 My goal for this month was to finish the Kawandi quilt I started at the end of February. And I did! Here it is: 


It is just 38 x 38 cm, and made from a bag of scraps from other members of the Dutch Modern Quilt Guild. The rules of the challenge were to use scraps from the bag to make something and to only use two fabrics from your own stash. Apart from the backing and wadding I only used one fabric - the purple frame and the corners to the centrepiece; all the rest was from the bag.

I used Aurifil no. 12 cotton throughout, except for the French knots in the centrepiece which are two strands of DMC stranded cotton. 

Centrepiece quilted with embroidery: stem stitch, running stitch and French knots.

I posted earlier about this project: here and here . In the second of these posts I described the process. 

Although the process is not difficult I found this slow going at the beginning. Not surprising as I had to find a way to anchor the side edges of the pieces as I added them, and the lines of stitching are obviously longer on the outside of the piece. This was intended as a sampler, a practice piece; I knew it wouldn't be perfect and yet I'm satisfied with the result. I learnt a lot in the making!

I am linking up to: 

 Click on the link to see what others have been up to.

Happy sewing

Marly.

7 comments:

Kathy S. said...

That's super cute. Love the stitching and looking at all the pieces layered on top of one another.

Christine B said...

It looks fabulous! This is a technique I have wanted to try for a long time.... another one to add to the list! Christine xx

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh lovely Kawandi Marly! Nice idea to use something different in the centre.

Debbie said...

oh this turned out really nice! I've made one small one and may eventually make another!

grammajudyb said...

A Kawandi is on my list of new techniques to try! I just need to 'begin"! I really like the use of the center piece. Well done!

Beth in TN said...

Terrific finish!

Sandy Panagos said...

What a fun process. Looks really good.