Tuesday 1 March 2022

Kawandi mini project

 

The Dutch Modern Quilt Guild issued a challenge for last year to make something from a collection of scraps. Not any old scraps, but a bag that would be coming in the post. There was just one bag that circulated each month and the idea was that everyone would take what she needed during a month, make something, and send the bag on to the next on the list after making up the weight from her own scraps. Mine was due in December but arrived some two months late.

I had just been watching some interviews with Margaret Fabrizio on YouTube, talking about kawandi (an Indian word for "quilt") so the scraps came at just the right moment. My project became "making a kawandi sampler".

This was my progress at the beginning of February but I've done very little since so I have to get a move on! I don't know how I could have avoided the wadding puckering, short of gluing it down; something I dislike doing indoors and the weather over the last two months has been very gloomy and windy. It wasn't gluing weather at all. That wadding will need to be trimmed, but I'm leaving trimming until it's impossible to go further. 

It's an interesting technique, starting on the outside and working inwards. The Indian Sidi women usually start with a border strip going right around the edge, but my scrap bag from the guild didn't include such long pieces. This has been improvisation from the word go.

My one monthly goal for this month is to finish making this little quilt. At least, with this technique, finished is well and truly finished!

I'm linking with

Click on the button to see what other contributors are planning to do this month.

Happy sewing

Marly.

7 comments:

Beth in TN said...

This is a really interesting technique. I need a hand stitching project; you've inspired me!

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - I will be very interested to see how this goes!

PaintedThread said...

I'll be very interested how this turns out. What an odd progression for quilting.

Quilter Kathy said...

I really like this technique. I took a class from Sujata Shah and it was great! I haven't finished mine either yet.

Sandy Panagos said...

Thanks for sharing your Kawandi quilt. I've really been thinking about trying this technique. I think you've helped me decide for sure!

Christine B said...

I keep looking at Kawandi projects and I am really tempted to give them a go. Looking forward to seeing how you get on. Have a lovely weekend. Christine xx

Kathy S. said...

This is only the second Kawandi project I have seen. Your fabrics are gorgeous. Woohoo!