Monday 14 March 2022

Kawandi update.

 Two weeks ago I posted this photo of my mini Kawandi project:

Kawandi is the name for quilt in the dialect of the Siddi people in India. I've never been to India, but saw a few videos about these quilts while wandering around YouTube. As I'd never made a quilt using this technique I thought the Dutch MQG challenge to make something from other members' scraps would be the perfect opportunity to start.

Now it looks like this. The sewing together is finished. It measures 29 cm square and I just have to decorate the centre and make the "tassels" on the corners. Finishing this is my one monthly goal.

 

Characteristic of kawandi is the construction from the outside inwards using only two tools: a pair of scissors and a needle.

  • Starting with a foundation (I used a layer of backing and of wadding) the quilter folds the edges of the foundation in by about a quarter of an inch. 
  • The bottom of each piece to be added is first folded under, along with one of the ends - I'm right-handed, sew from right to left so I folded the right hand edge under. 
  • The piece is joined to the foundation by a line of running stitches close to the edge, enclosing the raw edges. 
  • Pieces are added, overlapping the previous one, until the edge of the foundation is completely covered. 
  • More rows are added in the same way until the whole foundation is completely covered.

Not using an iron or a rotary cutter gives a wonky effect. I think the puckering has come from hand sewing through three layers, compressing the wadding in the process. While I moved on to the next few stitches the wadding sprung back into place. But this is just my idea, if anyone has another explanation, other than that I'm rubbish at hand quilting, please let me know. 

The women in India who use this technique simply sew the pieces to a single foundation layer. When they have finished they add the backing, leaving a small opening on the fourth side through which they fill the kawandi with cotton waste. I'll try something like that next time (!) but substitute wadding for the cotton waste, and sew it onto the top together with the backing. Unfortunately that will also require quilting, and to be honest I've done enough hand quilting over the last three weeks to last me for the rest of the year!

Happy sewing

Marly.

3 comments:

Julierose said...

I love how your Kawandi came out ;)))--good job on this!! That type stitching gives the wonderful puckered look to it...I love how it looks.

I began one but it has been put on the back burner--I found I couldn't do it sitting in front of the tv which is what I thought I would be able to do--but, I have to sit with it on a table to stitch it...I hope to pick mine up soon...Hugs, Julierose

PaintedThread said...

cool! I love how it looks (ooh - and I have that center fabric, too)

Debbie said...

This turned out really lovely. It's fun to try something new, isn't it?