Friday 27 August 2021

Aqua for RSC in August - table runner for Table Scraps challenge

 Each month Angela names a colour and lots of quilters select scraps in that colour to make something. Joy has asked us to make a table topper of some sort, using Angela's prompt.

This is a bit of a cheat table runner; two orphan blocks from an abandoned RSC project in 2017. Being an RSC project the idea was to use scraps, but because I had to cut into fat quarters to make them I thought they didn't qualify. Moreover each colour would need it's own pair of fat quarters, so I made something else instead - I don't remember what. I thought that this block was "Jacob's Ladder" but I've since found a slightly different "Jacob's Ladder"; perhaps you can identify this one for me.

Orphan blocks are a sort of scraps, though, aren't they? They are superfluous to requirements! So here is my aqua table runner:

 

Quilted with Aurifil 50 wt., colour 2309, pale cream. Quilted in the ditch along the sides of the "ladders" and between the contrasting squares, and I echo-quilted the arrow shapes in the background. All with the walking foot.

And here is the table runner in use:


A short runner to fit a small trolley.

I'm linking to: 

2021 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge


2021 Rainbow Scrap Challenge 

 Click on the buttons to see more aqua projects.


Keep safe and healthy.

Have a good weekend.

Happy sewing

Marly.

12 comments:

Ivani said...

Great use of orphan blocks, Mari.
I love your aqua runner. Well done!!

Jane said...

Marley, this is perfect use of orphan blocks and they are a wonderful fit on your trolley. Jane

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I think this tablerunner is the perfect use for your orphan blocks, and it fits your little table so perfectly! That's a fun finish, Marly!

Kat Scribner said...

Fun block, Marly, and one of my favorite colors !

Mystic Quilter said...

Perfect fit for the table runner and it looks good on the lovely dark table.

Deb A said...

Love your table topper! I admit - I cut into fat quarters for the RSC.... eventually it generates scraps and sometimes you need to add in a little something! Love your little trolly.

Chantal said...

Excellent use for orphan blocks. Congrats! This block is the one I call Jacob's Ladder. See it here : https://atthecornerofscrapandquilts.blogspot.com/2020/06/i-didnt-mean-to.html
I love that quilt and might just do another one... someday. Meanwhile, I'll just admire your table runner. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Brilliant use of those orphan blocks, Marly! It looks like your runner fits your table perfectly. Thanks for joining the TABLE SCRAPS Link Party!

Susie H said...

Obviously those blocks were meant to be orphans until this challenge. Otherwise they wouldn't have fit so perfectly and look so beautiful on the cart. Great job!

grammajudyb said...

A perfect table topper for a 🤩 cute little drop leaf trolley! The quilting is fabulous too!

Vireya said...

I checked Barbara Brackman's "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns" (3rd ed.). There have been several blocks called "Jacob's Ladder" over the years. Yours is definitely one of them. It is number 1695a in the book (page 194), and has also been called various other names including The Railroad, Golden Stairs, Road to California, Going to Chicago, and Susie's Fancy!

Whatever you call it, the orphaned blocks have found a lovely use.

Jenny said...

Looks great! I'm sure you dont have to use small scraps in RSC projects, sometimes we just need to cut into something a little bigger. It's all our own fabric, after all?