Saturday 29 May 2021

Red table scraps

The Joyful Quilter has a challenge, linked to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, to use scraps to make something for a table in the colour of the month. This month's colour is red, and my aim has been to use some of my red crumbs to make a place mat. Crumbs, by their nature are very small, and my chosen method is more labour intensive than I anticipated.

At 12" x 4" this is hardly a placemat!

 

I'm joining the pieces by a technique Debbie Jeske called "fine line piecing" in a blog post earlier this month.

My first attempts were not successful (fine lines not fine enough),


but narrowing the "sashing" and making a strip worked better and I managed to move it all along much more quickly. 

 

Unfortunately, not quickly enough to meet this deadline, but I shall probably get a top finished in the next few days. 

I'm linking this to:

 2021 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge     

Click on the buttons to see more scraps in use.

Keep safe and healthy

Happy sewing

Marly.


9 comments:

Ivani said...

You got the fine lines. Now it will be faster.
Looking forward for seeing your pretty table runner, Marly. The challenge will be open till Monday.
Happy and safe weekend

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on trying a new technique for this month's Challenge entry, Marly. I hope you are having fun with it! I saw Deb's post, but was busy chasing another squirrel. Maybe some other time...

Julierose said...

I love how this looks--nice work on those fine lines...hugs, Julierose

Debbie said...

It's fun to see you playing with this technique. I love seeing what you created! It does take a little getting used to, doesn't it?! Beautiful result tho.

Cathy said...

I’m impressed with your progress on this new technique. The visual results are a treat for the eyes and I can’t wait to see it completed!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's going to be pretty! Love the red scraps with lime green. It's always fun to try something new, too.

grammajudyb said...

That technique looks a bit challenging! I might have to check it out though! Love the look!

Susie H said...

I'm not sure I'd be up to this technique but WOW! Is it pretty! Love the green you used for the fine lines.

Christine B said...

Looks like a fun technique and a great way to use up small scraps of fabric! Christine xx