Wednesday 12 May 2021

Follow your own path

I've been following along with Sandra Walker's QAL: "Follow your own Path"

This is the top of "My path up", ...

... I hope, all our paths up out of the pandemic.

The last set of instructions for the piecing was given yesterday and I chose my layout and finished the piecing this morning. Well, I say finished, but I may add borders, I haven't yet decided. I'm not really a borders person, but this could become an exception.

The coloured fabric all came from my scrap baskets, the two greys from yardage. Initially I bought the Color Weave medium grey (the shadows) to use as background, but when I saw it in reality I found it rather dismal - the problem with ordering fabric online. I had just 0.5metre of the Color Weave light grey, and hoping this would be enough started using that as the background fabric. All that's left from that half metre is 2.5" x WOF.

Half a metre is nothing like the 1.5 yards specified in the pattern, so I reduced the block size to 5" x 3", half that of the pattern size. This has resulted in a wall hanging of 18" x 21". Making the quilt smaller was not my original intention, but a question of "Needs must!"; the alternative would have been waiting even longer for more fabric to be delivered.

I'm linking to:

grab button for SoScrappy

Click on the buttons to see others' current handwork progress .

Stay safe and healthy,

Happy sewing

Marly.

8 comments:

Ivani said...

I like how you arranged your arrows, Mary and how the dark gray makes the arrows float, like a 3D

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is lovely! I like your scrappy arrows with the consistent shadow fabric.

Mystic Quilter said...

Such an interesting pattern!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like how the gray appears to be a shadow - great work

Cathy said...

You did a great job of selecting colors and laying out the blocks! Way to go, Marly!

grammajudyb said...

I, too, like the scrappy main arrow fabric! Great job! And you reduced the size of the patter! Amazing! That idea scares the dickens out of me! It looks great! I’m about to get my baby quilt put together! Wish me luck!

Deb A said...

Love the effect the grey gives the arrows. Great little quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

WHAT?!?! You followed a shrinking path??? LOVE it, Marly!!!