Sunday 30 May 2021

May's OMG - Good Fortune

Moving Good Fortune on has been the subject of my goal this month, and not a comment on my progress. Unfortunately, most of the time the activity was mental: thinking about what to do with these blocks.

Good Fortune blocks on 2 May

In the photo they look good together, and probably the more there are the better they will blend together. However, close-up these just do not rock my boat!  In addition to these blocks I found these pieces and partly assembled units. Not enough to make a quilt, so what then?

2 May

 There were enough block units to make two more blue/green blocks and one red/orange block:

19 May
which left these pieces:
 
19 May

which can all go to join my orphan blocks, or back in the scraps.

More than two weeks had passed with no more progress than three blocks assembled, giving twelve blocks on my design wall. But then, 23 May, came the Zoom meeting of the Dutch Modern Quilt Guild, at least of half a dozen members. One asked what the project was on my wall, and then followed a brainstorm session on what I could turn these blocks into, and how. Aren't quilting friends wonderful?!

I decided I didn't want to make any more blocks, but would use what I had along with denim from old jeans to make a project bag. It is large enough to carry a cutting mat or a quilting hoop along with the fabric supply and box of sewing tools to bee or workshop. I've no idea when I'll be able to use it: whenever the Covid restrictions have been lifted. 

The next days I was cutting the jeans into strips, piecing odd pieces of wadding (after all, this is a scrap project):

25 May

and preparing to quilt:

25 May

Having free motion quilted the patchwork blocks I'm now quilting straight lines along the borders and base with the walking foot.

30 May

30 May

I have just finished the quilting, 

 

30 May

30 May
but I still need to close the side seams, box the corners, make handles and attach the binding. That will have to wait until tomorrow, because now I'm going to sit in this chair in the sun and knit! 

I think that qualifies as reaching my goal this month; I aimed to decide what to do with the Good Fortune project and move it on. I have certainly done that, and come so far that the end is in sight.

[Interesting phenomenon: my Fitbit recognises quilting with the walking foot as WALKING: 40 steps taken just now during 2 minutes quilting!! 😄]

I'm linking up to:

Click on the button to see other reached goals this month.

Keep safe and healthy

Happy sewing

Marly.


10 comments:

Chantal said...

Haha. I want a Fitbit like yours. That's just too funny. I love what you did with your blocks. Having a tote bag big enough to carry a quilting hoop or a cutting mat will come in handy eventually I'm sure. It's not something you can easily find in a store either, so kudos to you, girl! ;^)

Ivani said...

Great idea Marly, it will be a wonderful bag.

Janice said...

Go you! It will look great. The denim gives a nice contrast.

Janice said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patty said...

Fun bag! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

The blocks looks great with the denim and it will be useful and out to show off, rather than folded in a cupboard somewhere. Win-win!

Vireya said...

That's a terrific idea! The blocks make a bright and colourful bag, which is sure to be useful once being out and about is OK again.

Christine B said...

This has turned out beautifully. Just shows the importance of getting together with like-minded people even if it is virtually! Can't wait to see the finished bag! Christine xx

Nancy said...

What a great save on the those blocks you weren't quite so keen about. They will make a terrific project bag and you're so close to finished. Hooray for you! Next thing you know, you'll be modeling it for us.
That's hilarious that fitbit recognizes your walking foot on your sewing machine. Now that's an easy way to get in a lot of steps, especially at 20 steps/minute.

Mystic Quilter said...

Using the blogs to make a bag, with the addition of the denim, is an excellent idea!