Friday 18 September 2020

Hemisphere progress

In the middle of August I noticed that Sheila Christensen was running a mystery triangle quiltalong. The fun had started at the beginning of July, so I was well behind the schedule, and hadn't looked out any fabrics yet. I registered immediately, and I'm so glad I did. Sheila broadcasts live on her video channel weekly at 10:00h on Thursdays - that's 10 a.m. in New Zealand, and about 02:00h here! Fortunately for me the broadcasts are recorded and posted on her video channel. The block patterns are being published once a week for 26 weeks and during the broadcast Sheila shows how to make the latest pieced unit.

I posted the photo of my first block on 31 August and now I have seven blocks:

random layout; they are really half hexagons and will be completed in the final step.

This may look like EPP but, no way! I would never attempt such a complicated EPP design; for me that is for "patchwork on the move"! Apart from cutting strips of fabric - everything here has been cut from 1.5", 2.5" or 4.5" strips - all the pieces have been cut using a 60 degree ruler. The blocks look complicated, but really they come together easily, and the cutting is not hard once you've watched the video!

Last year I made the Mini Wonders table runner from a pattern Sheila had published in instalments in Make Modern Magazine, so I was already used to her method, but now I am learning the finer points and have more insight into the calculations. These blocks have so far been easier than the hexagons in the Mini Wonders table runner.

I'm linking up to

https://wendysquiltsandmore.blogspot.com/2020/05/my-quickest-quilt-top-ever.html

so click on the button to see what more people are working on.

Have a good weekend, and keep safe and healthy

Happy sewing

Marly.

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

is that foundation piecing or just regular piecing? nice!

Rochelle aka Bella Quilts said...

I love the way the look. From your comments, I assume you are not paper piecing but strictly cutting and piecing. If that's the case, WOW! Your accuracy is fantastic. Look forward to seeing more of these.

Rebecca Grace said...

Those hexagons look FABULOUS, Marly! I'm the opposite of you -- my very first question is "can I paper piece this?" I don't pass on a project if I can't paper piece it, but it's definitely my favorite method most of the time. Can't wait to see how the rest of this quilt turns out for you!

Vireya said...

They look fantastic!

Christine B said...

They are stunning Marly and they look complicated even if they aren't! Christine xx

Chantal said...

I love these blocks. They look so intricate ... and WONDERFUL! Great job! ;^)

Mystic Quilter said...

I've been following these blocks on Instagram, so nice to see a group of them here, they're beautiful.

Cathy said...

Wow those are gorgeous blocks. I can't believe they aren't paper pieced. I've never heard of Sheila Christensen but I'm definitely going to check her out now.