Monday 21 May 2018

Quilting "En Provence": problems!

Finally I started quilting my version of Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt well over a year after I finished piecing the top. I really love this quilt whose colours remind me of La Provence district of France. 


Layering and starting quilting was my One Monthly Goal for May which I posted about here.


Well, that was done in the first week. In fact I had quilted about two thirds of the quilt and thought this will be finished this month. The photo below of the back shows how far I got.


But then my Bernina Stitch Regulator started playing up. The BSR suddenly lost contact with the rest of the machine. The BSR no longer registered on the display screen and (this is the worst) the machine continued to run, at full speed. As the feed dogs were lowered the needle just went up and down about a hundred times before I managed to switch everything off. I tried to fix it myself: unplug and then reconnect the BSR, unplug and clean the plug with a piece of fabric, twiddle the plug a bit in the socket (you realise I'm grasping at straws here) and yes, there it was again - connection made and off we go again. For about five minutes. Then repeat ... several times!



It spent a week at the dealer's and the result was: a service and nothing wrong with the BSR! OK, maybe the service had fixed whatever it was that was causing the interference.

 No. This morning I tried to continue and after about 10 minutes it happened again. This time no cleaning plugs, no twiddling; first thing tomorrow morning it's going back to the expert.

http://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2018/05/one-monthly-goal-may-goal-setting-link.html

 
 I met my goal for May as I started quilting my "En Provence". I'm frustrated as I'd hoped to have the binding on by now! 
As I probably shan't be able to post until the middle of June I'm sending a link to this post to Patty at Elm Street quilts, but won't be able to post a goal for June.

To see more May achievements click on the OMG button on my right hand side bar on or after 26 May.


Happy Sewing

Marly.


14 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hate sewing machine problems - I brought my machine in last fall as the tension wasn't right and I couldn't get it fixed myself - they "fixed" it and I started my project and within a day it was right back to how it was - I brought it back and they told me nothing was wrong with it - well then why could I simply pull my thread out of the practice piece with no trouble - tension was not right - I hope they fix yours - I've given up on mine for now and went to a different machine!

Vireya said...

What a shame! You were making such good progress with it.

I'm picking up my machine today from repair, after being without it for over a month. It just started running full speed when I was nowhere near it after some component in the motor burned out. I've missed it!

Christine B said...

How frustrating! I hope you manage to get the problem solved! Love this beautiful quilt, the colours are gorgeous! Christine x

Debbie said...

Well isn't that the most frustrating thing ever!!! So sorry!! Hope the 'expert' can FIX it this time!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh that's no good!! Hope you can get this fixed second time around.

Patty said...

It is looking beautiful! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

Danice G said...

How frustrating. Hoping you get that repaired soon. The quilt is truly beautiful.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

So soory to hear about this machine problem, I hope it can be fixed, and quickly now. Your quilt is still beautiful!

Kaja said...

How frustrating! I hope they can sort this out for you second time around.

Kate said...

How frustrating! Hopefully they will get it figured out this time. At least you made a lot of progress before things went haywire.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Sorry for the troubles! I like your quilt tho!

Kris said...

Your quilt is gorgeous and I so hope you get that dang machine fixed!! I look forward to seeing it when it is all done with the binding neatly attached!! :-)

Marti said...

How aggravating! I hope they get it fixed and back to you soon. As others said, at least you got your goal completed.

Sandy Panagos said...

Oh, no, that's awful! Hopefully, you're working with a good dealer, and they'll figure it out quickly!