Saturday 25 January 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Saturday update

I'm linking up with Soscrappy today for the RSC14 link up. The challenge is to make blocks in the same colour for one month. Angela sets the colour at the beginning of each month, and January's colour is blue.


Firstly I have to thank everyone who answered my question about pressing seams last week. I will certainly press the heck out of them, eventually, and I'm not going to spin them, but I think for now I'll leave them be until I know how I'm going to place the blocks in the final arrangement. I don't want to have to press them twice to make them good neighbours.

Making the split pinwheel I followed Angela's instructions, but I need to look at photos better. My triangles went through the machine light one up (which Angela stressed), but point first! This is what you get. 

This was not how I meant it to be! A case of Murphy's Law!
So I made another one, this time pushing the right angle corner onto the feed dogs first. 

So now I have two, and I like them both.

I made two more blocks this week.


I'm enjoying participating in this challenge; there's no pressure to keep up, which enables me to easily fit making these blocks into my schedule. I'm looking forward to reading this week which colour Angela has chosen for February.

If you'd like to see what other people have made for this project this week hop over to Soscrappy

Update: 
I've just fixed the "no reply" status (which I didn't realise I had, sorry).  
Apparently Google+ doesn't give an option for replies, so the solution is to kill Google+, something I've wanted to do for ages. If you're interested, a tutorial on how to leave Google+ and revert to Blogger can be found here at Venus trapped...
Happy sewing
Marly.


17 comments:

Jo said...

They look great. I agree to no pressure. These blocks add up quickly though without too much time doing them.

soscrappy said...

What a different look those two blocks have. I do like them both. Great work on the 54 40 block as well. Great collection of blues to start out the year.

scraphappy said...

Marly,
I have just noticed that you are a "no reply" blogger and I could not answer the e-mail from your comment.

Marly said...

I'm sorry, Angela, I didn't realise I had "no reply" status. Then I don't know how to activate the reply function. My email is on my profile page. Perhaps you can help me, please.

Kate said...

Very pretty blocks. The Scrappy Sampler is quickly turning into one of my favorite projects.

Nell's Quilts said...

The first time I heard about spinning the seams was when I made Eleanor Burns Egg Money Quilt. It was very important to spin the seams in some of those blocks or there would be an incredible knot of fabric in the centre. I've been spinning them ever since. Love the split pinwheels - both of them.

Deb A said...

I love how both your split pinwheels came out. Boy, I could see a quilt with just those two blocks with those colors!

Cathy said...

I like them both. I'm using scraps but not doing the sampler but enjoying what everyone else is doing for it.

Elly D said...

I love both of your spinning wheel blocks! Very fortunate that you made a 'mistake' ;) Your other blocks are so lovely too. I have googe + so I hope my comment doesn't have a no-reply. If it does please would you let me know. Thanks.

Melinda said...

Hi Marly - I'm glad you fixed your no reply status.
Love the blue blocks you made. I'm also anxiously waiting to see what color it will be. The last three years February was purple, green and red. I'm guessing pink this time.

Marly said...

Well, I can reply here, but I'll just check if there's a way to reply privately, via email.

Gina said...

I like the 'wrong block'. Looks good. Like the rest of hem too xxx

Sarah said...

Nice blocks and fabrics. I'm ready to move on from blue!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I love your pinwheels as much as your wonky stars last week! (I'm looking forward to our next color!!)

Dasha said...

Hello Marly, by now you would have had an email reply from me, so you will have realised that you have fixed your "no reply" status. I haven't gone down the Google+ path, and hearing the conversations in blogland about the pitfalls, I am glad I didn't. Thanks for yet another warning ;-) PS those pinwheel blocks look great together - don't admit it was a mistake!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful blocks Marly and I'm glad you have the no reply taken care of....that can be such a pain. Angela's Rainbow scrap challenge is always a no stress challenge!

Teresa in Music City said...

Love your blue blocks Marly! And good for you getting away from Google + - it doesn't seem to do much except cause trouble!