Saturday 26 June 2021

Purple table scraps

The Joyful Quilter has a challenge, linked to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, to use scraps to make something for a table in the colour of the month. This month's colour is purple. I'm pairing purple with yellow, its complementary colour.

Not much purple in the purple scrap bowl. I planned on making a placemat, but maybe I'll have to settle for a mug rug.

I had more purple pieces than I thought. I started with the scrap bag, where most of the pieces were crumbs, and not nearly enough. My drawers of strips, sorted by width, proved to contain enough purple.

Following a tutorial on fine line piecing published last month by Debbie Jeske I set out to join the crumbs and other scraps. I cut the yellow strips at 0.5", although I had started with wider. I found that half an inch was wide enough if I sewed a scant quarter inch seam

Adding  a yellow strip with a scant quarter inch seam 

 

chain piecing the yellow strip

and the seam to join the second fabric one eighth of an inch from the first. This felt strange at first, like working back to front. The second fabric is hidden under the first, whereas I would normally position it on top.

Which all resulted in this:

 

fine line pieced, quilted, labelled and bound: one placemat.


I'm linking this to:

2021 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge

                 

   Click on the buttons to see more scrappy progress.

Keep safe and healthy

Happy sewing

Marly.

21 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

I love the results! I can't imagine sewing with that tiny of strips and seams and it all being so perfect in the end!!

Julierose said...

Really pretty piece Marly--nice work on that method...hugs, Julierose

Preeti said...

WHOA!!! So beautiful!!! Love the purple combined with skinny yellow slivers. Awesome!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, is that ever neat! I love the look of those very fine lines of yellow in between the purple. Beautiful result!

Deb A said...

Love how this came out! Purple and yellow together are a perfect match.

Chantal said...

I didn't understand why you wanted to add such a slim strip of yellow. In my book, if you want to add something, just ADD it. Now that I see the result, I'm thinking; Well done! It looks like a stained glass window. I love it. Congratulations! ;^)

Bonnie said...

Awesome. I never would have tried that skinny line. Good for you trying and succeeding with it.

PaintedThread said...

Very pretty. It reminds me of Japanese kintsugi repair work.

Ivani said...

This is cool!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! I saw Deb's skinny strip insert project, but didn't realize just how skinny they were. Congrats on finishing up your PURPLE placemat for the June 2021 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge, Marly!

Robin said...

I love that little line of yellow, I enhances the purple, adds dimension, and draws the eye around the quilt. A delightful idea.

sue s said...

I have used some skinny strings before, but not THAT skinny! The look is fabulous and I'll have to try it some time. A really stand-out placemat!

Katie Z. said...

I love the look of gold veining (leading in a window?) in between the purple. This is so gorgeous.

grammajudyb said...

Just beautiful, Marly! Well done!

Mystic Quilter said...

Ah, so that's how you achieve those beautiful fine gold lines of fabric!! They really are so effective.

Jane said...

Marley your placemat is lovely. Well done on those fine lines.
Jane

maggie fellow said...

wonderful finish

Cathy said...

What an interesting method and fabulous result.

Debbie said...

oh fun! So glad you enjoyed the tutorial enough to give it a try - and thanks for the shout-out! Your resultant placemat is really lovely!

Cathy said...

What a stunning placemat! The veining method is really effective with the colors you used. Beautiful!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh, so pretty! These thin yellow lines are wonderful, well done!