Wednesday 23 June 2021

"Good Fortune" bag

My one monthly goal for May was to look out my pieces of "Good Fortune", Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt of a few years ago. I looked them out and decided to make a bag using eight of the blocks. I wrote about that process here. Unfortunately I didn't manage to finish it in May.

Now, however, I've finished sewing it together and adding the carrying straps.

The aim was to make it large enough to carry a project and tools to a bee or workshop.

It's even big enough for a 12"x17" cutting mat:

Measurements: 18"x18"x 5"

Materials: 

  • left over scrap blocks
  • recycled jeans
  • wadding scraps
  • canvas: NEW!
  • thread: all new
    • piecing Mettler 50 wt
    • quilting Aurifil 40 wt

I'm so happy to have made something new almost completely from scraps! It's going to be useful too, once we get back to normal group activities. 

I'm linking this to:

 

Click on the button to see more of this week's finishes.

Keep safe and healthy

Happy sewing

Marly.

10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that was a good idea on how to use your extra blocks. I have some extra blocks from my pineapple quilt that will be on the frame soon - I think I will make some pillows for the bed with them.

Chantal said...

That is a very useful bag. I LOVE it! And it has my favourite colours; blue and orange! Excellent job on the making and quilting. Congratulations on a perfect scrap finish. ;^)

Claire Alexander said...

A good use of blocks that aren't enough for a quilt.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Brilliant idea!!! I have a few blocks of a BH mystery quilt that didn't grow up to be a full size quilt. This gets me thinking about how I can use them for something else...

PaintedThread said...

I love how it looks!

Vireya said...

You've turned those blocks into an excellent bag.

Mystic Quilter said...

A good size of bag Marly especially fitting the cutting mat, also good use of the left over blocks.

Nancy said...

Congratulations on your finish! It looks wonderful, and such a great size to be able to carry a cutting mat. Well done!

Preeti said...

THAT is a perfect way to try a pattern without overwhelming yourself. Your bag is bright and beautiful. Love it!!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love your bag, and I love that you can carry so much quilting stuff inside. Pretty blocks!
Thank you for linking up with TGIFF ;)