Thursday 27 February 2020

My last two Summer Sampler blocks finished

https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2020/02/one-monthly-goal-february-link-up.html

My goal for February was to make the two remaining blocks of the 2019 Summer Sampler and to remake my "disaster" block. 

Here are the last two blocks I made: numbers 7, "Sparkler", and 21, "Summertime Star".

Sparkler
The focus in Sparkler was on creating transparency, but with my chosen fabrics it was difficult to really create a transparent effect; the fabrics were chosen for contrast rather than blending. I deliberately left this block until last, until I knew what was left to potentially work with.

Summertime Star
The focus in Summertime Star was on Y-seams, which weren't a problem. However the problem here for me was getting all the points to come together in the middle. After unpicking the last seam three times I decided that right or wrong the fourth attempt would be the final one. Those bias edges were not getting any better. Finished is better than perfect.

And then block number 9, Oasis: it's still as it was at the beginning of the month.



I've decided not to remake it, but to square it down to remove the wavy edges and then add a border.

I didn't fully achieve my goal, but at least I opened the project box and took stock of the situation. Trimming Oasis down to make it square and adding a border shouldn't take too much time, but then I have to think how I'm going to use the blocks. The projected layouts would result in a quilt that is far too big for my purposes. So what next? Two lap quilts? cushions? table runners? shopping bags? - not a good idea.


I'm linking up to 

 https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2020/02/one-monthly-goal-february-link-up.html
Click on the button to see other spectacular February finishes.

Happy sewing

Marly.

4 comments:

PaintedThread said...

I like Sparkler. I'm curious how fixed Oasis turned out. Bulky, many-pointed seams are a pain!

Sharon said...

I like that you've used solids for the blocks! It will be fun to see what you decide for the layout.

Christine B said...

I love your two new blocks and I am interested to see what you do with all the finished blocks. Have a lovely weekend! Christine x

Patty said...

Looks great! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.