Friday 10 January 2020

Rainbow Bow Ties is finished.


https://marlysquilts.blogspot.com/2020/01/my-goal-for-january-2020.html


          https://sewofcourse.blogspot.com/2019/10/fal-q4-list-linkup.html   


Click on the buttons above for my posts about these projected finishes.

My third finish for the 2019 Q4 Finish A-Long is Rainbow Bow Ties, my Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2019. This is also my OMG goal for January 2020.


At something like the eleventh hour I finished sewing the binding down. I spread quilting the swirls over the previous two days. I used the design "swirls" from the book, "Stitching Pathways" by Wendy Sheppard. I found her technique of stitching a short distance and stopping to decide where to go next a real help and an eye-opener: "Why didn't I think of doing that?" instead of just letting the machine run on into increasingly  more hopeless places. This became a relaxed and interesting experience.

Close up of swirls; some more swirly than others, but we're getting there!
The idea for this quilt came from "Make Modern" magazine in 2018.

Fabric from stash, with some new neutral additions
Wadding 100 % cotton
Thread for piecing Aurifil 50 wt assorted colours
Thread for quilting Aurifil 50 wt colour 5011 (light khaki) 

I'm linking to
       
https://sewofcourse.blogspot.com/2019/10/fal-q4-list-linkup.html

https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2020/01/one-monthly-goal-january-finish-link-up.html



                              SoScrappy       http://www.sliceofpiquilts.com/2020/01/the-number-15-tgiff.html

Click on the buttons to visit the link ups.


Happy sewing

Marly.

22 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Huzzah! It's beautiful!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love it - I have a bow tie die and a drunkards path die and keep saying I need to make some thing with them and then I start on something totally different

Vireya said...

It looks good! You are totally allowed to stop and think about where to go! That was something I learned in a class with Debby Brown (a Handiquilter educator). It is excellent advice.

Mystic Quilter said...

Congratulations! I'm so pleased to see your Bow Ties all finished, I've really enjoyed seeing these blocks being made and posted.

Christine B said...

What a beautiful quilt and I love the quilting you have used! Happy New Year and I hope 2020 is a creative year for you! Christine x

Lisa J. said...

Congratulations on your finish. It looks great.

Chantal said...

Congratulations! It is gorgeous. I just love it. ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute scrappy rainbow finish, Marly!!

maggie fellow said...

wonderful quilt - congrats

Quilter Kathy said...

Terrific finish! I love to see quilters using their own machines and hands to quilt their treasures!

Deb A said...

Very pretty! Love how you quilted it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is beautiful, Marly! I'm really impressed with your swirls!

Angie said...

Great RSC finish! Thanks for the tip on quilting swirls!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love how you arranged the colors. And of course the quilting is amazing. Congrats!

scraphappy said...

The quilting on our Rainbow Bowties turned out really well. Love all the colors! Congratulations on a finished quilt.

Jenny said...

Lovely! I made a rainbow bow tie quilt too, it's such a nice easy pattern to stitch.

Susie H said...

Wonderful goal, fabulous finish!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Oooooh its a rainbow beauty! Congratulations on your OMG finish.

DawnyK said...

Marly, it's a beautiful finish. Well done! Thanks so much for the reference to the book. I've ordered it and will give it a try.

Sharon - IN said...

How lovely is your RSC quilt!

Patty said...

Such a fun quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely rainbow quilt! A great 2020 finish ;)
Thanks for sharing!