Friday 23 April 2021

Quite a blue catch!

My April table runner is as blue as the sea. Blue is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour this month, and the table runner is a response to the table scraps challenge.

My inspiration came from Nicholas Ball's "Shoal" quilt in his book "Inspiring Improv".  The fish were cut freehand from grey and white scraps together with blue scraps, and then more blue scraps were added to the fish blocks.

This measures 49"x13" (1.25m x 0.33m)

I have yet to quilt it. First I need to get backing fabric! Our lockdown is likely to finish next week; I know where I shall be going first! After 5 months of  shops being closed I'm tired of choosing fabric from a computer screen. I know how I'm going to quilt it, so that's one puzzle less.

I'm linking to:    

  

Click on the button above to see more table scraps.

Keep safe and healthy.

Happy sewing

Marly.

18 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's beautiful, Marly! I love those fun fish with the scrappy blue background. I'll enjoy seeing how you finish up your tablerunner!

grammajudyb said...

I like this so much! The colors are fantastic! And the fish are fabulous!

Julierose said...

I really ike your Improv table runner--nice work...
hugs, Julierose

Deb A said...

Love this! The fish are so happy swimming around. Hope you get to pet fabric in a store real soon.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I still haven't made a single fish, but your runner is all sewn together. Well done, Marly! Hope you find just the right backing fabric once you can shop in person. I'll look forward to seeing your reveal post for the completed quilt.

Ivani said...

It looks great! It is a beautiful table runner, Marly.

chrisknits said...

Wonderful top! It will make a great topper.

Quilting Babcia said...

This improv indigo runner is simply wonderful! Looking forward to seeing how you quilt it.

Robin said...

It's a lovely clever soothing piece. Nice job.

Vireya said...

Your fish look great. Best wishes for your lockdown escape, and in-person fabric shopping!

LA Paylor said...

Oh Marley this is awesome. Love the fish swimming thru the harder straight lines of the blocks

Chantal said...

Awesome! Our lockdown is not about to finish any time soon, so enjoy the in-person shopping for the rest of us too. ;^)

Bonnie said...

Love this modern look. You really have done improv well. enjoy your trip to a quilt store.

Sandra Walker said...

I just LOVE this! I am wondering if you cut these the way Karla Alexander does her Slice the Deck style of quilts, and if so, do you have a second set of blocks in reverse colours? I'm going to look up this improv book. :-)

Christine B said...

What a wonderful little quilt. I hope you enjoy your shopping day! It has been very tedious not being able to get out to shop! Have a lovely weekend! Christine xx

Kathy S. said...

Hopefully you will be out of lockdown soon. Your fish look great. I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Cathy said...

That fish table runner is darling! You’ll have a ball shopping for fabric!

Mary said...

What a great Shoal table runner. You definitely made more Shoal fish than I did, and they work so well in this table runner.