Monday 1 February 2021

One Monthly Goal February

My goal for February is to work on my Magic Cubes wall hanging. 

Photo from the pattern

At the beginning of January I made a list of UFOs and gave 12 of them each a colour code. The plan is that when the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is announced each month I will work on the UFO with that colour code on my list. This month's colour appears to be is yellow, and my yellow UFO is Magic Cubes.

I started this in a workshop five or six years ago. Unfortunately the organiser of the workshop failed to mention that it was foundation paper piecing or I would never have joined. FPP makes me nervous; I've had so many bad experiences, especially cutting pieces back to front! I chose to make it from fabric I'd dyed myself, which I consider precious and was really afraid to cut, especially considering my record on cutting for FPP. That, of course, I see now was a totally unfounded fear as in home-dyed fabric the dye is equally distributed on both sides of the fabric: there is no right or wrong side.


My colour plan

At the workshop the first action was to make Paterno templates of all the pieces as preparation for cutting.

The next stage was to colour all the pieces on a layout plan, according to my own idea, and available fabrics. Then cut them out and stick them onto another sheet of paper. I chose this colour scheme, based on the left hand photo on the pattern sheet, because I thought it gave the most 3D effect.

Now I'm not so sure!

 


That day I made pieces 1, 2, 4 and 5, and cut all the large background triangles. There is a lot to be done, and it's making me tired just writing about it!

This remains, however, my goal for this month: to work on Magic Cubes (which, in this colour formation, look more like hexagons!) whether I have to unpick or not. Whether I finish this month or not, I have to beat it somehow!

I'm linking to 

Click on the button to see more goals for February.


Keep safe and healthy

Happy sewing

Marly

4 comments:

PaintedThread said...

Wild pattern. This is going to look awesome!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good luck looks like a pretty pattern to me. Foundation work is not my favorite but it is accurate

Quilting Babcia said...

That looks like a fun but very complex block. It'll make a fabulous quilt!

Vireya said...

Good luck with reaching your goal! It is going to look fantastic when done.