Friday 1 May 2020

One Monthly goal in May:

For May, my goal is to finish assembling my improv log cabins into a table runner.

First I have to make a few more blocks.

I didn't post to the April finishes link up, so what happened to April's goal? A lot of thinking, but not much action. Last time I published this photo:



Then I rearranged the blocks several times:

measurements in this layout: 60" x 48"

but each time it just wasn't working! (I'll spare you the other attempts!)

The reason hit me! Laid out like this each block is an individual, not playing with the others. My original plan to use narrow sashing wouldn't change this. It's like the Academy Awards Ceremony: too many stars jostling for the limelight! The blocks need space to show off! The original suggested layout for the Summer Sampler foresaw this and added neutrally coloured alternate blocks, resulting in an enormous quilt of  92" x 80". Much too big for my purposes.

Does anyone have an idea for using these blocks? I don't need 20 more cushion covers, nor 5 more table runners! I don't think I'll be ready to finish this in the next month; I have to order more fabric for alternate blocks or wider sashing once I've decided how to proceed.

I learnt a lot from making these blocks and enjoyed all the challenges along the way. I want to be able to see them; not leave them in a box!

I'm linking to
https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2020/05/one-monthly-goal-may-link-up.html

Click on the button to see more goals for May.

Happy sewing

Marly.

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh i love that summer sampler--beautiful blocks and colors--I like the sun in the corner and maybe adding a larger looking block in the other three corners with the rest in the center...
this is always hard --the layout of different blocks, isn't it? Fun re-arranging though...
~ ~ ~ ~waving under my umbrella Julierose

PaintedThread said...

What a wild collection of blocks. Fun colors, too.

Cathy said...

Beautiful blocks with so much potential. I can think of a couple layout ideas that might help. First, (and keep in mind these are just ideas that I would try; but I can only rearrange them in my mind), I would separate the most visually-heavy blocks, and those with the white. They might make good corner blocks. Then I would add 2-3” sashing (the neutral fabric) to help frame and float the blocks, giving each diva block its due. Another thing I wouldn’t personally put blocks on the corners that lead the eye outward, away from the quilt (like that sun, unless it’s turned). Again, JMHO. You can do this! They’re already so drool-worthy!!! xo

Cathy said...

Lovely blocks. I do think a very narrow sashing without cornerstones in the same fabric as the background would be just enough to set all the blocks apart.

So did you use the leftovers from making the sampler blocks in the wonky logs? I like those too.

Christine B said...

Love your improv blocks and look forward to seeing your finish for May! The other blocks are also beautiful.... perhaps you could buy the alternating fabric and make two smaller quilts using half the pieced blocks in each..... or make the quilt reversible and use half combined with alternate plain blocks on one side and half on the other side. Enjoy your weekend! Christine xx

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

I just love your improv blocks and I look forward to seeing your finished table runner. It's going to be so bright and fun!
Your sampler blocks are stunners and my only suggestion would be adding some sashing to seperate them a little. Have fun on your OMG this month :)

Suz J said...

I really like your improv log cabin blocks. they look fun to make. The sampler blocks are tricky. My friend and I made blocks from the Vintage Quilt revival book, doing a block swap which mean 40 blocks each! We found adding a wide-ish sashing... 3"... really helped give the blocks some space but still keep it regimented.

Karen's Korner said...

That is going to be a fun table runner when finished.

Marsha Cooper said...

Good luck making your goal for May. Despite everything, I find myself with less sewing time.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

I made a quilt where each block was sashed in a complimentary colour. The solid sashing became the frame for each block and receded into the background. You could also alternate the sashing colours to made a checkered arrangement. Or put alternate blocks on point with contrasting setting triangles, with the ones left square floating on the same shade as your gray background (on point + rows at http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/2015/12/finishing-sampler-quilt-use-quilt-blocks/). The last suggestion would be to use a sashing that contrasts all of the solids you used -- perhaps a deeper teal or a medium gray.

Patty said...

Great blocks! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.