Sunday 24 November 2019

Overlapping Octagons is finished!





https://marlysquilts.blogspot.com/2019/10/finish-along-2019-q4.html



Overlapping Octagons is copied from a photograph of a quilt made around 1950 and featured in the book "Unconventional and Unexpected, American quilts under the radar", by Roderick Kiracofe. Making a replica of a quilt in this book was a challenge issued by Sujata Shah about a year ago.
Unlike the original maker I used the sewing machine throughout, although I now think I would have been faster sewing all those y-seams by hand. I chose to use red to meet the criteria of another challenge; about the same time the Ad Hoc Improv Quilters issued the challenge: "Red is the new Neutral"


The Y-seams are not only at the four corners of the red squares but also at the X joins of the string sections.
In this photo the octagons are maybe easier to identify.


Originally I tried using hourglass blocks as cornerstones in the string sashing. That didn't work as the hourglass blocks became too visible as hourglasses and didn't blend into the octagons. The seams also became very bulky as five fabrics came together at one point, as opposed to just three now. In the original the fabric in the "sashing" continues into the "cornerstone" so I went with that, as you can see in the picture above.

I used fabric scraps throughout. I started with red and blue 19th century reproduction fabrics - the ones that have been hanging around the longest - but soon used up that lot (hooray!!) and moved on to the more recent fabrics. Just two colours - red and blue - became very boring, so quite early in the process I introduced small pieces of other colours among the blue strings.

fabrics: scraps from stash
measurements: 38" x 44"
pieced with Aurifil 50 wt light grey
quilted with Aurifil 40 wt dark blue, dark red and bright red
 Although this was intended as a small lap quilt my DH has claimed it for the wall above his desk! 



Finishing this quilt was my goal of the month this month, (and last, and the one before!) but now it really is bound, labelled and all the threads are buried!
It is also the first item on my Q4 list for the 2019 Finish A-Long, hosted by Sandra at Studio sew of course.


I'm linking to: 

Quilting is more fun than Housework           https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2019/11/one-monthly-goal-november-link-up.html    https://wendysquiltsandmore.blogspot.com/2019/11/tongariro-crossing-and-peacock-party.html

https://sewofcourse.blogspot.com/2020/01/link-up-your-finishes-from-last-quarter.html


Click on the buttons to see more scrappy quilts and goals achieved. 

Happy sewing

Marly.

8 comments:

Chantal said...

Awesome! Fabulous! I love it so much. I want one too. Congratulations on this gorgeous scrappy quilt. ;^)

Vireya said...

That looks brilliant! Congratulations on finishing it.

Christine B said...

What a fabulous quilt! It looks gorgeous!! Christine xx

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Beautiful finish!!! At first glance I didn't notice the y-seams. Great job using up scraps, too! Fun that your DH wants it on his wall.

Karen's Korner said...

It never ceases to amaze me what lovely creations come out of scraps. A great result.

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh congratulations Marly - beautiful quilt finish!

Patty said...

Pretty quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Marly...I'm inspired by the red centers and denim colored blues. :)