Wednesday 1 August 2018

One monthly goal August


 http://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2018/08/one-monthly-goal-august-goal-link-up.html
 
My goal for August is firstly to find some yellow & white or mint green & white striped fabric to match these:

fabric choice made by the parents

and then to start cutting and sewing the blocks for a play-mat for twins expected by a family member in December. A play-pen for twins is longer and narrower than usual, approximately 1.5m x 0.8m., I think, but don't worry, I have the measurements somewhere!

I don’t wash my fabric before sewing, but wash the finished quilts so that the wadding can shrink and become puffy. I’ve never bothered to measure a quilt before and after washing, but now I need to know what sort of percentage shrinkage I can expect. Do you know? I’d be grateful if you could share your knowledge.

I'm looking forward to reading about the amount of shrinkage occurring in quilts made of quilting cotton with a 100% cotton wadding and to reading about other goals for August.

I'm linking to 
 
If you click on the button you'll find more August goals.

Happy sewing

Marly

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I rarely pre wash my fabric and my quilts do tend to shrink a bit - sometimes a good 6 inches - I use cotton quilting fabric, cotton batting - usually quilters dream - I wash on cold and dry on high as I figure sooner or later a quilt will be dried on high and that way all the shrinking should already be done so no one is surprised if they take a quilt out of the dryer and it is smaller than it was - the shrinking should be finished I hope. I always make my quilts bigger than I want the finish to be.

Karen's Korner said...

Cannot help with the shrinkage question - those fabrics will sew up into a great playmat.

Patty said...

Very nice fabrics. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Sandy Panagos said...

I found this quilting board discussion about the shrinkage. Might be something helpful here. https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-%22shrinkage%22-account-t123681.html