Sunday 17 May 2015

One Lovely Blog Award

I was reading a blog post by Christine Barnsley of  Patchwork Allsorts last week, and was surprised to see myself on her list of nominations for the


Thank you Christine I am greatly honoured.

The aim of the award is to tell more about ourselves and, more importantly draw the attention of others to blogs we enjoy reading, and encourage you to check them out. 

In order to accept the award the nominated blogger must:

  1. Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them in your post.
  2. Share seven facts about yourself.
  3. Nominate 10 other bloggers for the award.


So first come seven facts about me, that you maybe didn't know already.

1. I was born and brought up in the UK but I've lived in the Netherlands for the last 40 years. I speak Dutch, but write a funny version of it, so my blog is only in English.

Holland: flat land with a lot of sky.

2. I am married to a Dutchman (hence my profile photo) and am mother of two and grandmother of three.
Dutchman's Puzzle - that's me!
3. I taught for seven years in the English state school system, but have been teaching English as a foreign language since I arrived here. Although I am officially retired, I am still teaching Business English part-time.

4. My mother taught me to knit at the age of five, and I have subsequently tried most crafts with needle (or hook or bobbin) and thread. My largest project to date, in size, time and cost, is a hand knotted rug of 1.8 m x 2.5 m, which has been on the living room floor since 1988. It's a bit worn in places, but it took more than a year to make, so I can't bear to part with it.

5. I took up patchwork and quilting seriously three years ago, having vowed many years ago that I would never, ever do patchwork again. I had to make EPP flowers at school at the age of ten.  It was a disaster; of course, none of my hexagons fitted together! About ten years ago I first came across Crazy Quilting, and did very little about it, but Christine has rekindled my interest recently as I watched her progress through a CQ project.

6. I started blogging 18 months ago during Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice mystery, so I could join the linky party. Many of the bloggers I follow, I met there. Not difficult as there were hundreds each week.

7. Now, however, I spend too much time reading blogs and and not enough time sewing. The trouble is that everyone writes such interesting things, posts such wonderful photos, gives such expert sewing, knitting or crochet tips, that I can't stop!


Here, in alphabetical order, is my short list of ten blogs. The long list is more than twice as long and the selection was really difficult.


So head over to these blogs and see if you agree, that each, in her own way, makes an interesting read.

Happy reading

Marly.



7 comments:

Julie said...

Marly,

Congratulations on being honored as "One Lovely Blog". I've learned so much more about you reading through your post this morning, and now understand the block reference! I'm flattered to be on your short list of nominees. Thank you.

Thank you for your weekly link ups to the Pet Project Show on Pink Doxies. I sincerely appreciate your dedication, and enjoy keeping up with your latest project.

Julie @ Pink Doxies

Chantal said...

Awwwh! Thank you SOOOOO much for the honor Marly! I am touched. (blushing again!) I laugh when I saw you post as I too have nominated you as you surely know by now. Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks you deserve this award! It was nice finding out a little bit more about you. Have a great sewing day. I will now go and check out these great blogs you have introduce us to. Thanks again for the honor. ;^)

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Congratulations on being nominated not once but twice!! :) Your honor can be called One Doubly Lovely Blog! ;)

Thank you so much for naming me in your short list of lovely blogs! I truly am honored to have made on onto your short list! :)

glassbylindi.blogspot.com said...

Congratulations, I see why!!! L

Dasha said...

Ha ha ha. I was planning to nominate you too, but then noticed that Christine had, so I found another blog.
Nice to find out a bit more about you.

Christine B said...

Hello Marly! What a lovely post, so glad you accepted the award. It was lovely to get to know you better! :) x

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I too enjoyed reading your post and getting to know you better! We've been blog buddies since the beginning and I enjoy the virtual quilting guild we have created! Like Chantal said, it's quite flattering to find out someone enjoys your own bog...thank you for the honor and compliment!!! (You made my week!!)