This is my fourth finish for 2015 Q2.
Finally it's finished!
The patterns for the 6" sampler blocks were posted by Angela at Soscrappy: several each month. I didn't make all of them; my stash wasn't very big at the beginning of the year, but caught up later wherever I could. A couple of the blocks in the bottom row are from Tula Pink's "100 Modern Quilt Blocks."
I pieced the quilt with 1" sashings and a 5" border.
[Click on the next two photos below for more information]
Quilting over the blocks is generally all-over stippling. I started with ambitions to quilt each block according to the patchwork design, but gave up on that idea quickly. It proved too difficult to keep a continuous line going, and with so much going on in the patchwork I decided there was little point in making the quilting complex. I didn't unpick the part I'd already done, so the discerning may find some non-stippled blocks.
Lastly I quilted the border, and added the label and binding. After about a week of deliberation: how did I want to quilt the border? Which quilting design would I do? I decided on a scrappy quilted border! There's something of everything, in my own non-too-perfect chaotic style!
|swirling wind: design from Leah Day|
|McTavishing: design from Karen McTavish|
(sort of, more like MacWilliams-ing!)
|my first ever feathers!|
|large flower in each corner; this one with leaves and flowers|
(photo last week, before the finish)
|crayon/pencil: "Je suis Charlie"|
Size: 82 x 82"
Fabric: assorted from stash
Sashings and border: Bella solids - off-white
Backing: pieced from stash
Binding: from "Brights and Pastels Basic Styles" by Windham Fabrics
Thread: piecing Aurifil 40/2 assorted colours, Quilting: Aurifil 40/2 off-white (2309)
I'm linking to
So pop over there to see what other quilters have been doing recently.
I shall be linking up to
at the end of June.