Monday, 23 March 2015

Camera Challenge 2

Littlest Thistle Camera Challenge 2015

Katy, at the Littlest Thistle, is holding a Camera Challenge.

The second assignment was about understanding aperture.

This was an assignment and a half!

I took hundreds of photos of  objects all lined up:

But rejected them all!

Until this morning, when I hit on the idea of lining them up with the focus points on the camera, and then manually changing the focus point from one to the other as I moved through the series. That way I didn't have to move the camera, just the settings.

The only setting I changed in each photo was the aperture priority.
I labelled each photo with its colour (for identification) and f number. Violet is on the left and purple on the right. I won't bore you with red and green; they don't add anything.

Here are nine photos, plus a bonus!

What are those mysterious light spots on the purple spool?
Reflections from my watch, necklace, wedding ring ...?
The other settings, constant in all photos:
Camera: Canon EOS 450D
Lens: EFS 18-55mm
ISO: 200
Exposure adjustment: +1 (a mistake, but I'm not doing them all again!)
Light balance: auto
focal length: 18mm 

Interesting is that the exposure times increase as the aperture value increases. (Good job I have a tripod!)

There are the mystery spots again.

To be honest, I know there's a difference, but find it hard to see in this format. Probably because  of the lens but maybe because the purple spool is only 14 cm/ 4.5" further from the camera than the violet. Maybe it's .jpg format that's the problem.

And finally, by way of contrast, this photo I took after a heavy shower last September with my zoom lens:

Canon EOS 450D
Lens: EF 75- 300mm
ISO: 800 (set on auto)
Evaluative metering
Aperture value: f 5.6
Focal length 210mm
The leaves are close together but the lens is different and the camera was much further away.

I'm linking up to 
Littlest Thistle Camera Challenge 2015
so go and visit Katy and see what others have done this month.

Happy snapping everyone



Katy Cameron said...

Thanks for playing! I suspect the issue is that they're spread more sideways than they are back to front. My wee lego dudes were practically side by side, it was just that each one was about 2" set back from the next.

You absolutely should be using the individual focal points to move it around, so well done for working that out. Also, well done for noticing the relationship between the aperture and shutter speed, this will serve you well in this week's challenge :o)

Ruth said...

You could try getting closer, that should give you more of the blurring effect. a fun exercise. love your quilting thread colours!