Each month Angela at Soscrappy gives a different colour for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. January's colour is blue.
Last week I reported here how my card trick block was too big.
I've remade it using the method Angela showed and it is the right size.
Both times I cut up pre-cut 5" squares to make this block, and had just enough fabric. Last week the seam allowances were the main problem: I couldn't keep to a straight ¼" because the bulk at the corners of the centre unit was both pushing the foot sideways and was preventing the fabric from moving on. This time, when I got to the bulky part, I raised the back of the foot by putting a small piece of plastic between the foot and the fabric and so keeping the foot horizontal. The patchwork foot doesn't like having to go uphill! I could of course have used the walking foot, but I didn't think of that!
I have also pressed these seams open, something I otherwise never do, in order to spread the bulk somewhat, and keep the block flatter, and easier to quilt.
|Vertical seams pressed open|
I'm looking forward to going on to pink.
|not many pink scraps|
but some FQs and "nearly" FQs