Saturday 19 August 2017

Neutral basket in the making


Neutral is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge colour for August. I didn't think I had enough neutral fabric for a basket, and I didn't! Not strictly neutral, at any rate. Some of these look decidedly brown, but are a mix of beige and grey, and some are ecru and grey.


I deliberately avoided any other colours, even though I have a lot of "neutral" with some other colours left from making Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilts. By her definition "neutral fabric" can have other colours in it, as long as they amount to less than 50%. This does give a more dynamic effect than solid white as here below where the neutral features orange hens, brown sewing notions, red lines, multi coloured polka dots and ecru buttons.

Allietare!
So my neutral bag will have some other darker shades in it, I could say for effect, but in fact without them I wouldn't have a neutral bag at all!

I'm linking up to 
SoScrappy

so hop over there and see more neutral projects.

Happy sewing

Marly.

18 comments:

Jo said...

I like the way you have quilted your neutral patch

LA Paylor said...

ooo the top photo is lovely

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

VERY nice !:)

Cathy said...

I love the quilt on your Neutral Quilt. Hugs

scraphappy said...

Oh, I like that combination of neutrals. Having colors might have made it more dynamic, but the subtle blending really works well.

Deb A said...

what a beautiful bag that will be! Love it in neutrals.

Katie Z. said...

Your neutrals together are gorgeous.

Sandy Panagos said...

So far, I like what you've done. I think browns, greys, and ecrus ARE neutral. Looking good!

Sheila said...

Love, love, love your neutrals. Most of my neutrals have little bits of color in them, too. One of those Bonnie Hunter tips. A good idea, I agree.

Sandra Walker said...

I love the start of your neutrals bag! I made a lightweight sweater/jacket some time ago, that I still wear to this day, because it is all neutrals, and goes with everything!

PaulaB quilts said...

The basket turned out very well. The Quilting really gives it so much texture, a real statement. It is so hard to stick to a confined color palette, and you did it beautifully.

Jacqueline said...

Beautiful neutrals.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looking forward to seeing how your LIGHT NEUTRAL scrap basket turns out. Hoping to make one of my own, too! Thanks for the reminder, Marly.

Monica said...

Your neutrals look so elegant with the narrow quilting there. And Allietare looks great too!

Chantal said...

Gorgeous example of neutral fabrics. I love your pieced bag. Hope you will show a photo finish. Please? ;^)

sunny said...

Beautiful job with your neutrals!!

JanineMarie said...

I think you nailed it with the neutrals!

Cheryl said...

I love neutrals, what a great collection of prints.