Sunday 8 February 2015

Little Letters Quilted

Last Wednesday I reported that I'd started quilting my Little letters quilt, a quilt along from The Temecula Quilt Company. I finished quilting this afternoon.


I used a double row of serpentine stitches in the sashing, and FMQ on the white space inside the 4" blocks. I intended doing a different design in each block, but ran out of ideas, so several of them have the same quilting pattern. Not exactly the same, obviously, because the white space around each letter is a different shape.


The photos were taken this evening using flash, which tends to equalise the result by removing shadows, so rendering the quilting almost invisible. I counteracted this somewhat by crouching low and using maximum zoom. Perhaps there's now too much shadow!

Charlie's pencil
The border is of leaves and flowers and one pencil (read more about the pencil here and here). For the pencil I tried to get the lines straight by drawing it in first - the only pencilled motif in the whole quilt - but I couldn't keep on the lines. I hope when the blue ink is washed out it still looks like a pencil. If not I'll have to add some hand stitching.



Now I have a question: what would you bind this with? I have two options:
  • off white - the same as the background for the blocks, the sashings and the borders, or
  • scrappy coloured - using some of the fabrics I used for the letters
I'm linking up to Pink Doxies for Pet project show.
And with Cynthia at Quilting is more Fun than Housework (here, here!) for Oh Scrap!

Happy sewing

Marly.

8 comments:

Magpie Sue said...

I would use the multicolor binding, just because a light binding will show the dirt quicker.

Great job with the quilting!

The Quilting Elf said...

That is such nice quilting for a pretty quilt. I would choose the colorful scrappy border also just because it would keep the fun theme going!
Kathy T. in Tampa

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I think a scrappy binding would frame that adorable quilt quite nicely! I love all the happy colors you used. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

ES said...

I think a multi coloured binding would be fun!

Jasmine said...

I'm also voting for a scrappy binding. I love your quilting!

Lisa J. said...

I'd also go with scrappy binding. Nice job on the quilting.

Julie said...

Marly,

Thank you for linking up with Pink Doxies this weekend. I had to pop in to see your whole project. I love baby quilts!

As to binding this beauty, can I vote for using just one of your letter colors, or something in the same palette. I wonder if a super scrappy binding might take away from the range of fabrics in the letters. Your work is just so nice in the center, I would want to 'frame it' to keep the focus there.

Julie

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Marly, your quilting looks great! I'm going with the masses on this one, scrappy color binding for sure :)